Sunday, March 11, 2012

Nu52: Now with 90% less context

No, Princess, he wasn't just touching your lasso.
He was grabbing your ass. And you let him.
C'mon, how did he get his hand between your lasso and your hip?
Ladies and gentlemen, Hal Jordan!

I'm really loving Comics Alliance's Point/Counterpoint on the new Justice League, even if I'm not sure which is which.
Point/Counterpoint: 'Justice League' Is Everything Wrong With Comics: "[Darkseid] does nothing but show up, say his name, and then trade punches until this stupid story runs out of pages."
Yep, that's about it.
Point/Counterpoint: 'Justice League' Shines with Strong Characters: "In the first arc of the comic, Batman, Green Lantern, Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Cyborg join together to fight an invasion from Apokolips, during which Darkseid shows up personally. Batman finds out from Steppenwolf and Desaad that Darkseid is looking for his daughter, who is apparently on Earth. And in terms of the overall plot of the arc... that's about everything that happens."
And that's your defense? That we're hip-deep in Character Revelation that has nothing to do with the story? Six issues of arc get a 50-word synopsis, and you're OK with that?

Although, actually, he got more out of it than I did. I totally missed the Darkseid's daughter thing (a thrown-away line of dialog dismissing a macguffin who's never seen or named).

Where's my copy of New Frontier? At least that takes more than five minutes to read.

4 comments:

Rafa Rivas said...

And the same can be said about most of the titles. These days not even Morrison remembers how to tell a decent story in 22 pages.

To be fair, I've been really enjoying Azzarello's Wonder Woman and OMAC was surprisingly fun.

Do you have a twitter account? I tweet as @RafaRivas2099 and, if you have one, I'd like to follow you.

Budd said...

The reboot was not done for love, it was done for money. The results prove that. The decision wasn't because they had great stories to tell, because, so far, they haven't told us any.

Daniel said...

I do have a twitter account (@dtaylor404), but I rarely use it. I'm going to try to get back into the habit, if for no other reason than to let folks know I've updated here.

Rafa Rivas said...

And back to the pic.. (Twitter brought me here again). I think that yes, "ladies and gentleman, Hal Jordan". JL has many reasons to suck, but I don't disagree with that characterization. People often call him another square-jawed bloke, particularly fans of Kyle and John. However, DC doesn't have many maverick/ace types. Batman is pragmatical, Superman and Barry are boy scouts, Ralph is easy-going and creative, Ray is a nerd, Ollie is a loud-mouth jerk, Katar is a Republican dream and Hal is the (80s and 90s) Mel Gibson of comics. He shoots, he scores. He is very likely to test the waters with Diana before anyone else.